Friday, March 26, 2010

Last weeks blog entry- I've had it saved as a draft by accident

Wow, talk about confronting. The work of Joel-Peter Witkin certainly intrigues me; I could look at it for hours. In and odd way I would like to be able to draw inspiration from it, but I’m not too sure how. I don’t think I could get myself in the right frame of mind to capture the “morbid” (I use that only in lack of a more adequate word) nature of his work.

I’ve been thinking a lot about why I like to crop things so heavily in my photos. I also have noticed that I’m more drawn to photographs of objects that are cropped. It’s true that to an extent every photo crops something. Everyday we see images as they are, we see them whole and complete. Taking a crop photo, focusing on only a small aspect or fragment of the piece is seeing it from a different perspective. Choosing to highlight something else, something that you might not notice everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment